Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lessons Learned from the Lamanites

Generally, when the term "Lamanites" is mentioned, I am apt to think of a wild, ferocious, and a wicked people. However, in the end of the book of Helaman Samuel, the Lamanite, proves me wrong in that regard and reminds us all that repentance is possible for anyone, if we truly believe.

As Samuel continues his preaching from the wall, he reminds the Nephites (and us all) of the reason why Heavenly Father chastens us: because He loves us and wants us to return to Him.

And then Samuel reminds us of the true nature of the gospel and the true nature of the God we love. Samuel tells us of the repentance and CHANGE of the Lamanites and how, through true conversion, they have changed their lives and their ways. It's amazing to hear how much the gospel has changed the lives of the Lamanites and their families. These Lamanites had such a strong testimony that they had such an aversion to sin (like their predecessors) that they'd rather die than to go to war against anyone again.

Of their righteousness, Samuel said, "And now, because of their steadfastness when they do believe... for because of their firmness when they are once enlightened, behold, the Lord shall bless them and prolong their days, notwithstanding their iniquity" (Helaman 15:10).

After church on Sunday I began writing about my gratitude for the gospel and for the opportunity I have to go to church. I know that the gospel of Jesus Christ has changed my life for the better. I hope that I can remain true and steadfast, that I can repent as the Lamanites repented, with true conversion and with a true desire to change for the better.

No comments: