Thursday, February 26, 2009

Standing at Judgment

Recently, I had a discussion with a friend about the judging that will take place after this life. She and I both have family members who've gone through some hard times and may not have made the best decisions. However, we both remain fairly confident that these people will be able to repent of their sins and return to live with God after they die. I know that God will not judge us based on the worst thing that we've ever done, but will judge us based on all of our deeds, both good and bad. Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to return unto Him. I feel strongly that if we're trying to live as He has asked us, that He will help us to return to live with Him again.

As I was reading in Mormon chapter 3, it provides a little more insight into the judging that will take place after this life. In this chapter, it mentions that former (and probably even current) apostles will also act as judges for the people. In fact, it mentions in verse 19 that the Nephites will be judged by Christ's first apostles as well as by the apostles Jesus chose while on the American continent.

Will we also be judged by apostles both current and past? What is the reasoning behind this judging from multiple apostles, if we ALL must stand before the judgment seat of Christ as well (Mormon 3:20)? Is the order of judges set up by the Nephites indicative of the type of judging that will happen hereafter?

It's interesting to consider the "judgment" that is mentioned so many times throughout the scriptures. We know that we will be judged, but I know that I don't always live my life as if I will be. I guess I need to better myself in order to get ready for the eventual judgment that will take place.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Post. Thanks for sharing. I bounce around a lot regarding how I understand judgment. Lately, I've been finding peace in the idea that our deeds actually have very little, if anything, to do with judgment day. I felt burdened by a system of beliefs where I felt like I was judged for my deeds - and for me, there was no salvation in sight. I'm too sinful, too base. I break ALL the commandments - every one of them. I will never be able to "keep the commandments." So for now, you can count me among the "faith alone" crowd. I'm all for bettering ourselves, I'm just positive that I will never better myself enough to be anything other than dust.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing in this post. I have a question for you which you may or may not be inclined to answer, which is fine. But, what do you think will happen to the homosexuals? Not the god-hating ones, but the ones who do worship, like my mother.

Sarah Stout said...

Alex,

I really think that God knows everyone's hearts and loves everyone. He did, after all, create all people in this world. He knows them better then we know them and better than they know themselves. I honestly think that God will judge people based on that love for his children.

My father committed suicide. That has been a hard thing for me to deal with. I've heard people from MANY religions basically tell me that my father is going to hell and I won't see him again (providing I don't go there myself.) I know that God will NOT judge us based on ONE misdeed in our lives. He wants us to live with him again and will judge us based on the goodness of our hearts, rather than what we have or haven't done in our lives.

Anonymous said...

I think that the whole judgement idea is one that most members of "The Church" misunderstand. We have this attitude that makes us fearful that someone might "sneak" into the Celestial Kingdom without "earning" it. I remember having heated debates with "born again" friends in high school who would always argue over this. I think that we like to think that the Celestial Kingdom is going to be a lonely place...it makes us feel superior. The fact of the matter is, though, that without Christ, without the atonement, even the best among us would be "judged" as vile sinners.

I am comforted when I think about the sacrament prayer. There we are asked to be “willing to take upon [us] the name of” Jesus Christ. If I take this literally (which we should do, perhaps) I understand the “judgement” better. Taylor is not worthy to enter God’s presence...not even close. Taylor never could be worthy. Jesus Christ, however is. If my name ceases to be “Taylor,” but is, instead, changed to “Jesus Christ,” I am made worthy to dwell with God.