Monday, July 21, 2008

Pride is NOT a Virtue



I’d like to think of myself as a non-judgmental person, humble person. Before yesterday, I had never considered myself to be self-righteous or preachy. However, if it quacks like a duck, flies like a duck, and–heaven forbid–looks like a duck, you probably wouldn’t call it a cow. I am a duck.

This is how the story goes. Yesterday I was minding my business studying my scriptures in German before church when I decided to go downstairs and see what the fam was up to. On my way down, I encountered my sister’s children playing games and feeding their pets on a kids’ online site called Webkinz. A Sunday rule for the kids is no internet usage. I reminded them of this rule and prompted them to come downstairs and play games with me instead. They conceded. Now, this situation did not bother me.

What bothered me was what happened when I was on my way downstairs. I saw the kids’ parents both on the internet. I know this isn’t a big deal, but for some reason it just really bothered me that I was trying to help them keep their rule, while they were not even keeping it themselves. Can anyone say double standard? Needless to say, I was irritated. However, rather than being tactful, I judged them and said it aloud. I was angry and I wanted them to “keep the Sabbath daily holy” in the way I thought they should.

It wasn’t until later, after getting frustrated with my boyfriend for the same thing, that I realized I have become what I’ve always hated. I had been self-righteous and acting out of pride. Sure, I think that I’m right. I think it’s more important to spend the day worshipping Heavenly Father in a way other than perusing the internet. But, that’s what I think. That only applies to me. I do not wish to take away anyone’s right to choice, but that’s how I was acting yesterday.

As Evan and I were driving to church and the true nature of how I had been acting came to my mind, I was shamed for the pride I had shown. How dare I think that I’m better than someone else because of a mundane and immaterial choice in Sabbath day pursuits?

Needless to say, I now see that I must be on my guard at all times in order to beware of pride in all of its forms. I am not better than those of the Nephites and the Lamanites who were prideful. Pride led to their downfall time and again. I do not wish for this same occurrence in my life.

I know I am not better than anyone else. I have much to learn about life and the ways being kind and humble.

2 comments:

Shane and Michelle said...

You know how I said I don't have time to make a separate blog for testimony/church? Well i did afterall. http://shanemichelletestimony.blogspot.com

You'll have to check it out. I am so glad I did this, especially after the special experience I had while praying and reading my scriptures. I recieved clear answer to my question of what the Lord's purpose is for us in Las Cruces: missionary work. It's a little overwhelming but I am excited! :)

Celeste said...

I'm a believer too and I mean this in the kindest way. How you felt about everyone disobeying the simple rule of no internet was not wrong. I would have done the same thing. God expects us to put Him first above all things and especially be reverent and keep this day Holy and sanctified.

If God appeared before them at that very moment, would they have continued on surfing the net? I think not, Jesus is alive and among us. Faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen.

When Jesus walked into the temple to find the people buying and selling, He too was upset- as the temple should be a place of worship and not of play or business.

Your initial reaction was very much correct, don't let others influence you, and don't think that you're better then them for having the revelation of keeping the Lord's day pure and Holy.

God bless you.