Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Reading 1 Nephi 15:26-17:1

Today I read in 1 Nephi 15:26-17:1. As I was reading through, I was impressed by the fact that Laman and Lemuel humbled themselves and repented several times throughout the chapter. This made me realize that the real difference between Laman and Lemuel and Nephi is the fact that they gave up and succumbed to having a bad attitude. They did not choose to endure to the end. Even as I was reading through, I also noticed that Laman and Lemuel were not without knowledge. They had the same knowledge and opportunities as Nephi did. However, they CHOSE to go against that knowledge. They were lazy, had a bad attitude, and did not continue to endure to the end. It takes a lot to make it through this life and stay true to the gospel of Jesus Christ! They had what it took to do it, they just didn’t want it badly enough. Thus, they succumbed to the temptations of Satan rather than choose the harder, better path.

What this helps me to realize in my life is that I also make mistakes. It’s important to see that learning is life-long. Just because one humbles his or herself once, does not mean that is enough. Constantly we need to be learning from the situations in which Heavenly Father puts us. I want to be like Nephi. I want to stay strong. I want to repent of my mistakes and change them to improve myself and those around me. I want to have a positive outlook in the face of adversity.

No comments: