Saturday, October 4, 2008

Enjoying General Conference



As I was listening to the General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints today, I was overwhelmed with the love I feel towards the God who has provided us with His wonderful church. I know that this church is true. I know that those prophets, apostles, and general authority that bore testimony today did so out of love and gratitude for the same gift I have. They are God's leaders He has chosen for His church during this time.

I've waited for weeks to hear their words. I'm so glad for the uplifting messages I've been able to hear. I'm grateful for the answers to prayers that God has provided for me. I know that I will live a better, happier life if I abide by the principles set out in today's conference session. If you didn't get to hear conference today, you can do so here.

I enjoyed all of the talks today. Here are a few that stood out to me. First, President Monson. I know that he is a prophet. I loved the fact that he introduced conference today by speaking first in the morning session. He loves us, he wants the best for us, he is praying for us. He is God's prophet on the earth today. I'm so thankful for that knowledge.



Secondly, I appreciated the openness and candor of the real-life experiences from Elder Joseph Wirthlin's life shared during his talk. I truly want to abide by the principles of when the going gets tough, just laugh! I've been thinking about that concept lately and it was something I really needed to hear.



The next talk that comes to mind is Lawrence Coburn (can't quite remember the last name) whose knowledge and use of the scriptures in his talk astounded me. He obviously studies the scriptures and used them to support his testimony througout his entire talk. I loved his fervor and ZEAL for the gospel and for the redeeming power of our Savior, Jesus Christ. His passion for Jesus Christ was evident in every word he spoke. I only hope that I can live my life closer to Jesus Christ as a result of his talk.

And last, but certainly not least, I loved Elder Bednar's talk.



Elder Bednar has meant so much to me over the past eight and a half years. He is the reason I went to BYU-Idaho (long story that involves meeting him and me telling him I was going to BYU not RICKS COLLEGE). I have spoken and met with him in various capacities over the years through leadership at BYU-Idaho, because of my exceptional academic standing, as well as during MANY FHE meetings throughout my time there. I love his testimony. I love when he speaks. I have learned so much from him during devotional talks and meetings over the years. Before he was called to be an apostle, I had a spiritual prompting that he was going to be called and I was fortunate enough to actually be 20 feet away in the conference center when he was announced as an apostle. I feel very fortunate to have had these experiences and this witness that he is an apostle chosen by God to serve us during this time.

His talk today about prayer was presented in a unique way. God prepared the world spiritually before he created it physically. Elder Bednar likened this idea to us, saying that we, too, need to prepare ourselves spiritually before we can go out and create our day. I loved that principle. It shows us that even God prepared and took time to research and think every aspect out! (Boy, am I grateful! If he didn't work out the kinks spiritually before he created us physicaly, some of us could have 3 eyes and 4 noses.) It is important for us to remember this principle and that even God did his homework. How much more must we take time to prepare spiritually for what lies ahead of us!

Additionally, Elder Bednar talked about connecting our prayers from morning to night. Make them meaningful and show our gratitude. These are basic principles, but presented in a new light brought this epiphany to my soul. I know that when I am close to my Heavenly Father through prayer and love, I am happier and kinder towards those around me. I'm so grateful for this knowledge and opportunity I have to improve myself and my life!

No comments: