Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Brother of Jared, Part I

(Please refer to President Eyring's article about the Brother of Jared)

Every time I begin reading Ether, I am impressed by the Brother of Jared. He is such a faithful, humble man. Because of his exceeding faith, he was able to do and see many wonderful things. But, I'm getting ahead of myself...

In Ether chapter 1, the account of the Jaredite people begins at the Tower of Babel. The Lord has begun to confound the language of the people and sworn "in His wrath that [the people] should be scattered upon all the face of the earth" (Ether 1:33). Jared did not want his language and the language of his family to be confounded. He knew that his brother (hereafter Mahonri Moriancumer) was a "large and mighty man, and a man highly favored of the Lord." Therefore, Jared said unto his brother, "Cry unto the Lord, that he will not confound us that we may not understand our words" (Ether 1:34). And, listening to the advice of his brother, Mahonri did so.

Because he did so, the Lord had compassion on them and did not confound their language. In fact, Jared again entreated his brother to pray to stop the Lord from confounding the language of their friends (and I'm sure loved ones). Mahonri did so and the Lord again blessed them that the language of their friends were also not confounded.

And a third time, Jared asked his brother to pray to the Lord about where they should go saying, "And who knoweth but the Lord will carry us forth into a land which is choice above all the earth? And if it so be, let us be faithful unto the Lord that we may receive it for our inheritance" (Ether 1:38).

Mahonri listens to his brother, prays, and is instructed of the Lord to gather animals, seeds, and provisions and to journey into the wilderness. Because Mahonri listened to his brother, their whole family was blessed.

This account tells me a few things about Jared and his brother. First of all, Jared was a wise man too, who probably felt and was guided by the spirit to ask his brother to inquire after these certain blessings. I'm not sure, however, why he asked Mahonri to speak with the Lord and why Jared himself did not do it. It could have something to do with a patriarchal order. Either way, Mahonri inquired with faith and received an answer. He was humble enough to allow his brother to counsel him and to also be counseled of the Lord. Through his humility and faith, he changed all the lives around him for the better. I need to work on my humility, allowing myself to be counseled of the Lord and even by family and friends. Sometimes I get so stuck in my ways, that I won't allow myself to change, even if it is for the better. Thanks for your example, Mahonri!

1 comment:

Brianne said...

I love that you have a scripture study blog. Adam just made my blog a book and i love it, its like a journal now, an actual hard copy and to think, your scripture study blog could end up being so precious to your kids!