Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Gospel of Positive Change

Life is about change, both positive and negative. However, it is how we deal with the changes that come our way that defines us as a human being. Some changes are in our control and some changes are not. In times when he cannot control something that happens to us, is when our actions are the most telling of our character. After surviving years in a concentration camp, Viktor E. Frankl said in his book Man's Search for Meaning, "When we cannot change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

I often refer to this quote and remind myself that the ONLY thing I have control over is myself. I am the only person I can change. I cannot change ANYONE else, no matter how hard I try. That is the power of the gospel plan: We are all given agency and cannot take agency away from those around us. They must choose and act for themselves as we choose and act for ourselves. We can and should, however, be a good example to those around us. The way we act can help influence others to change.



Alma chapters 24-25 is a prime example of this. It was not easy for these Lamanites to CHANGE their ways and accept the gospel. But once they did, they were converted. They knew that they'd do anything to keep themselves from committing those same sins again. In fact, they were so adamant about this, they buried their weapons so that they would never commit their sin (murder) again. They removed the temptation from their lives and buried it, signifying to themselves and to Heavenly Father of their positive change of heart. What would you and I bury to show Heavenly Father we want to turn our hearts to Him and away from our sinful natures? Here these people were, murderers and the vilest of sinners, but Heavenly Father forgave them and allowed them to repent. We would do good to learn from their examples.

Shortly after their conversion, their brethren, the Lamanites, came to fight against them. These converted Lamanites (now called Ant-Nephi-Lehis) did not take up arms to fight back, for they would rather DIE than to commit sin. (I wish I could do be at that point!) Because of their example of peace, of true repentance, and conversion, many of those fighting against them also decided to put down their weapons and be converted to the gospel.

This is why I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. Heavenly Father loves every single one of us so much. He wants us to return to Him. He has prepared a way for us to turn to Him through His son, Jesus Christ. We can choose to progress and change ourselves for the better. No matter what we've done, we CAN change, we can progress. And, through the process of our own repentance and conversion, we can be examples to those around of us strength.

I'm eternally grateful for this gospel of positive change. Thank goodness I have the power to take control of my life to improve. I know that only I can make the changes needed to progress towards my eternal goals.

1 comment:

Shane and Michelle said...

Yep you're right! But in the case of a family member deciding to choose wrong all the time, even when RIGHt is right in their lap, it's the straw that broke the camels back after so much time spent speaking peace and inviting change and love and the Spirit--(5 years of this)! Even the Savior got angry at the money changers in the temple because those people spiritually and physcially destroyed the temple. He was so angry that He knocked the tables over and harshly disciplined warned the people of their evil doings! NOW, I am no where near as patient and perfect as He is, so you can imagine how any one of us feel when our loved one decides to follow the path to destruction.
I will keep my feelings private from now on okay!