Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Parenting & Father's Blessing



As I'm reading through the chapters in Alma where Alma (the younger who is now old) is talking to each of his sons individually, I have realized something for maybe the first time. Alma may be giving father's blessings to his sons before they go on their missions.

After 20-something times of reading the Book of Mormon, it all of a sudden seemed clear to me that he may be blessing his sons before they part ways again. I don't know if I'm right/wrong or just plain making it up. What do you think?

If he IS giving his children father's blessings, he is a wonderful example to us of how to parent adult children. He is trying to be a support to his children through giving a father's blessing. He also wants to provide guidance and remind his children of the principles they've been taught since they were young. He provides examples of his personal experiences to help encourage his sons on the path of righteousness.

Sure, he is a little harsher and more long-winded with Corianton because of Corianton's life choices. You have to admire the fact that he is trying to understand Corianton, "And now, my son, I perceive there is somewhat more which doth worry your mind, which ye cannot understand..." (Alma 42:1). He is seeking to help a wayward son. It is evident that Alma is taking much more time with the wayward son who does not understand than he did with the other children. He loves all of his sons, but he sees the need to help this one who has fallen off the path. Maybe Alma understands Corianton so well because of Alma's own sinful history.

This suggests something to me: There are many ways to relate to our children. Not all children can or should be raised the same way. We should take time to follow the spirit to guide us how to raise each and every child.

1 comment:

Denisse said...

I love your insights Sarah...and I agree with you that every child is different...I appreciate Alma's example when it comes to parenting...he was trying to love his sons and especially the one who had made unwise choices, he didn't get angry, he LOVED! I think there is no greater gift we can give our children (and those around us) than to LOVE them. I am coming to realize that love has so many different dimensions...very interesting...thanks for this post!:)