Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Praise for General Conference



Words cannot adequately express my gratitude for General Conference this past weekend. Like many, General Conference always seems to happen exactly when I need the spiritual sustenance it provides without fail. I am thankful for the leaders of our church who prayed and studied laboriously to create messages Heavenly Father wanted ME to hear. I downloaded all of the talks on Sunday and created CDs. I'm excited to listen to these messages over and over to remind myself how I can better my life and draw closer to my Heavenly Father and my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Here are some talks I particularly enjoyed:

*Elder Robert D. Hale's talk on overcoming debt- This is something I've really been working on this year. Although I only have a car loan and student loans to pay, I feel the need to be careful of my spending in order to save and have no debt. This talk was very insightful and provided a good guide for me (as well as for Evan and I together) to determine that I will not spend my money on things that I don't need to.

*Elder D. Todd Christopherson's talk on keeping our covenants- I am preparing to go to the temple to receive my endowments this year. Recently, I've really been contemplating and praying about the temple. This talk helped me to see the power that is given to those who make AND KEEP sacred covenants with Heavenly Father.

*Along those same lines were two talks about the temple, Elder David A. Bednar's talk (see posting about last general conference) and Elder Gary E. Stevenson's talk. As Elder Bednar would say, these two talks in particular were a tender mercies from the Lord. He knew what I needed to hear about the temple, He knew that I needed Elder Bednar to speak about the temple. I gained so much power, strength, and understanding because of these words. I know that, as Elder Bednar said, there is protecting power in the covenants made and kept in the temple. And that, as Elder Stevenson said, we are never lost (proverbially) when we can see the temple.

There are a million other talks I also loved... Elder Holland's talk on the Savior's atonement and how because he suffered, He can now help us to NEVER feel alone. Or, President Uchtdorf's talk on the path of discipleship. Elder Oaks talk about service and love also inspired me to look outside of myself to work on improving the charity I have for others.

Time will not allow me to mention all of the insights I gained from general conference. I do want to say that I know that these men and women are called of God to lead our church in these latter days. I know that President Monson is a prophet of God. I appreciate his words, his cautions, and his guidance, for I know that they come from God, Our Heavenly Father. I want to adhere my life to the principles mentioned during conference. I hope that little by little I can progress as I try to so do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To be honest, there have been General Conferences that haven't really touched me that much. I know that this is due mostly, perhaps entirely, upon my own attitude and spiritual maturity. This time 'round, however, I too was quite moved.

I especially appreciated how heartfelt so many of the Brethren seemed. I can't recall a Conference when they spoke so purely and affectively (again, probably due to my own faults).

As always, I appreciate very much your insight here.