Thursday, July 23, 2009

Staying Positive

WAYS I CAN IMPROVE:
I think it’s important to analyze my life every so often to determine what ways I can improve myself and what part of my life needs cleansing. I know that ever subtly I begin to allow things into my life (be it anger, negative music choices, etc.) that bring me down and keep me from staying positive. I want to consistently rid myself of negativity in order to stay positive and keep the spirit with me.

Here are some thoughts as I read Mosiah 26:
*Verse 1- I wonder why the kids did not believe the traditions of their parents. Did their parents not live the laws and the commandments? Were their parents not an example unto their children? It just makes me wonder why the next generation changed so drastically. I understand that King Benjamin had had a big impact on the parents, but I just wonder why the kids didn’t want to live after their parents’ examples. Makes you realize the importance of raising children up right, the importance of being an example to our children and instilling in them at a young age, the desire to learn and improve, especially in gospel matters.
*Verse 5- Hearing how quickly the number of the “people of God” changed, it’s amazing to realize how quickly we can make choices that will take us out of the church. As the scriptures say, there are many diverse ways to commit sin: be it through drinking alcohol or succumbing to sex before marriage or infidelity after marriage, or not forgiving ourselves or others. Yes, there are many ways to commit sin. But, there are also set tools and guidelines to follow to help keep us from the pain that accompanies sin.
*Verse 6- People were deceived by the flattering words of others. Are we sometimes so deceived? Do we sometimes watch shows because their funny, yet crude and sometimes inappropriate? Do we listen to music that is against our own beliefs, yet we listen because we like the beat or the instrumentation of the piece? We, too, can be deceived by the flattering words of those around us to participate in activities (listening, speaking, social, etc.) that normally we would not.
*Verse 13- He didn’t know how to handle the situation, so he prayed and asked because he had faith and KNEW that Heavenly Father would provide guidance to him.

No comments: