Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Faith Precedes the Miracle

Here are some thoughts as I read Helaman 7-8:
*Verse 24- Nephi chastens the Nephites because of their unbelief. He BOLDLY calls them to repentance by reminding them of the many witnesses they see in their lives. Just like us, all things in heaven and earth testify that there is a God. I’m grateful for my testimony of these things, knowing that God is there. I can see Him around me in the people I talk with, in the opportunities and words He has given me, through the beauty of a sunset. So many ways to see and praise God for what He has given us.
*(Chapter 8) Verse 2- The people are waiting for a sign… at this point, the Nephites don’t believe that Nephi is a true prophet, but they say that if what he prophesied about the chief judge is true, then he MUST be a prophet and they will believe on his words.
*Verse 5- They find out that what Nephi had said was true and begin to believe. It’s better to believe without a sign than to believe after seeing a sign.
*Verse 8- Interesting that people who had forgotten God were so adamant in thinking that God had smitten those 5 men who had fallen to the earth after seeing the truth of the words of Nephi.
*Verse 16- Now the people believe that Nephi was in on the murder of the chief judge to the point that they are blaming him for the murder. Satan sure has a tricky way of getting people to forget God and to believe in their own thoughts rather than using the spirit to guide them.
*Verse 24- He showed unto them a sign and they are angry with him… their hearts are so hardened against Heavenly Father! They have let satan take over!
*Verses 39-41: It’s amazing how the Nephites all saw the same miracles and prophecies come to pass, yet some of them still don’t understand and still cannot believe! Nephi is so strong and bold in his faith. He listens to the spirit and lets it guide him in his thoughts, actions, and words. Because of this, he is a wonderful prophet and an example unto many. He is also given the words he should say because of his faith.

WAYS I CAN IMPROVE:
*I can be like Nephi… I can have faith and seek for the spirit in my life. I can seek to live by the spirit and allow it to guide me, refine me, and improve my character. I’m so grateful to Heavenly Father for my knowledge of the gospel and for the spirit in my life.
*I will work hard not to look for signs in my own life. I want to have and act on faith and remember that FAITH precedes the MIRACLE.

No comments: