Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Humbling Ourselves to Draw Closer to Heavenly Father

Here are some thoughts as I read 3 Nephi 4-5:

    *Verses 10, 18- We can learn much from these verses that discuss the spiritual and physical preparation of the Nephites. They humbled themselves. They prepared themselves in all aspects to fight against their enemy. It was only because they were prepared that the Lord blessed them. He provided them with strength as they listened to His counsel. He provided them with counsel because he KNEW that they would listen to it.

      *We can all learn from this in our lives. Heavenly Father will bless us with the gift of guidance and of His Spirit. However, He will only do so if we are proving to Him that we will act on that knowledge. I know that sometimes in my life I’ve been praying for the answer, but haven’t been willing to except whatever answer was given to me. We need to prepare and accept the Lord’s will in our preparations, having faith, knowing that He will guide us to the path that we need to follow in our lives.

    *Verses 29-33: The people expressed their utmost gratitude unto God for the blessings and freedom which He granted unto them. Shouldn’t we do so too?
    *Verse 9- Mormon reminds us that this a true abridgement. There are records that contain all of the proceedings of the Nephites. Where are those now?
    *Verse 16- Mormon makes an abridged record based on the records that have gone before. Even in modern day times, that would be a lofty task. But, for Mormon, this was an unbelievable feat! All of the engraving he had to do and the translations into a tongue that was not the language with which he communicated on a daily basis… that is amazing to me!
    *Verse 18- I wonder why there are many things which “according to their language” they are not able to write.
    *Verse 24- That is what we are doing today… we are bringing in the scattered remnants of the House of Israel. Through missionary work, we are helping to perform this great work.
    *Verse 25- Heavenly Father covenanted with the House of Jacob that He would restore it unto the knowledge of the gospel. What a blessing in our lives! I feel this blessing and this promise coming true among us today.

1 comment:

link2literacy said...

Hey Sassy Sarah! You commented on my Link2Literacy blog, and so I looked you up, and there you are - a Mormon in Washington - state, I'm assuming. Very cool! I love your blog, too! Thanks for dropping by! Come again and I'll visit you, too.

Renae