Monday, October 5, 2009

Here are some thoughts as I read Helaman 4:

    *Verses 1-3: I’m always amazed by those people who dissented away from the Nephites! It’s amazing to me that one day they could love their country and their lands so much, and the next day they are offended and go to their enemies to seek war against their own kin. It just shows the power Satan has over us, if we let him. We need to be ever watchful so that we don’t become like these Nephite dissenters, abandoning everything we know and becoming a traitor to our country and people all because of a contention blown out of proportion by selfishness and greed.
    *Verse 11: The Nephites suffered death and great losses at the Lamanites’ hands because of the Nephites great wickedness. This leads me to consider why. Why did they suffer and lose so much? It’s because they were no longer led by the spirit. They were also no longer united with their brethren in the same cause and the same truth.

      *This verse teaches us a great lesson: That we need the spirit to lead us into righteous paths and to guide us when we are unsure the best way to proceed. It also teaches us that we need to be unified in our beliefs and desires. When we are one in faith and action, we become strong and immovable. Satan and his cunning associates cannot shake us, because we will band together, strengthening one another in order to overcome temptations of all kinds.
      *Another interesting aspect of this verse is that those people who were wicked were “among those also who professed to belong to the church of God.” Are we among those who “profess” to belong to the church but don’t live it? May there NEVER come a day that I profess to belong to something which I don’t believe in and show my belief through my actions.

    *Verse 12-13: These verses go even further to expound upon those who belonged to the church but did not live according to its principles. It states that their actions and their unbelief were related to the pride of their possessions. They allowed this to consume them and to cause them to do wicked and harsh things to their brethren.

      *And because they boasted in their own strength, “they were left in their own strength.” Essentially, the people got exactly what they wanted. They wanted to say nothing of God and everything about their own power, so they got it.

    *Verse 16: The people repent and are able to regain one half of their property and lands. Repentance allows the Lord to help them to prosper when they are humbly seeking Him.
    *Verse 25: The Lord not only will NOT strive to be with wicked people, but He can NOT dwell in those who reject Him. He will not take away our agency. It’s up to us to choose to have Him a part of our lives or choose to go it on our own.


WAYS I CAN IMPROVE:

    *I need to be ever-mindful of the wiles of Satan. Satan is cunning and can quickly redirect us down false paths if we let him. I need to HUMBLY strive to have the Spirit always with me as a constant companion. I know that if I do so, I will be united with God and with my brethren. We can band together to strengthen one another in time’s of trial and hardship.

No comments: